A nave at the west end, chancel and sanctuary at the east end, vestry on the north and porch on the south. The tower is centrally placed, and the church is the shape of a cross, similar to Englishcombe church. It has been suggested that it is based on the design of Bath Abbey.
The cockerel weathervane (6 ft long, 5 ft high) on top of Priston Church Tower, given to Priston Church by William Vaughan in 1813.
The new stained glass windows designed by Nicola Hopwood installed in 2010. The sun shining through the windows casts a wonderful palette of colour on the surrounding stonework.
View a postcard of the interior of Priston church, taken prior to the stone surround of the pulpit being replaced by ironwork, and showing the lettering "Whoso offereth me thanks and praise he honoureth me" still intact around the arches.
Image used with permission of the Somerset Record Office
Above the outside door a panel reads "Priston repent and believe the gospel. Thomas Watts Preacher of the word of God Departed ye world the 20th November 1589."
To the left of the outside door can be found a scratch dial. Although now in poor condition, the lines indicating the time can just be made out, together with the central hole (now filled in) which would have held the gnomon which would have cast the shadow across the dial.
The doorway is of Norman construction, with a segmental arch. The great wooden door is thought to be Norman. It is equipped with fine scroll hinges and a wooden lock on the inside. The iron studs on the inside were reputedly for holding hides to the door to exclude draughts.
It was Kelson
and Edward Lippiatt who found the Roman coffin in 1917 in Great
Field on Hill Farm.
The coffin dates from around 100 AD and housed the body of a woman with bronze bracelets on each of her arms.
Some of the hundreds of sightseers at the time apparently threw rocks at the coffin and broke it - it is said they confused "Roman" for "Roman Catholic".
Read the 1917 report of the original coffin find, (893kb).
An octagonal font in the style of the 15th century, but the panels bearing the arms of the Long family suggest the latter half of the 16th century.
A painting of the Holy Family presented by the Rev. Francis Bell hangs to the right of the entrance.
The organ purchased for £200 in 1976, thought to have been built by Sweetlands of Bath, and came from the redundant church at East Horrington. It is a two manual instrument with tracker action with 9 stops, 4 swell, 4 great and a pedal.
The church has a number of memorials to the family of the Lord of the Manor, from the 18th century onwards.
This plaque, now mounted on the North wall of the nave, was originally part of a lectern. The lectern was a gift in memory of 2nd Lieutenant John Ormond Butler of the Royal Flying Corps who died in the Great War in 1918 aged 19.
Just to the east of the priest's door is a piscina, a bowl structure which was used for the cleaning of communion vessels. It is in the Decorated style with an elegant fluted column and ogee-shaped canopy, and was found walled up in 1843.
The priest's door is on the south-side of the church just before the altar.
Made by Messrs. Heaton, Butler & Bayne in or after 1869. In the sanctuary, the East Window illustrates the story of Christ. The side windows depict the four evangelists. In the chancel the North window depicts Abraham and Moses, on the South side Isiah and Daniel.
The tower was rebuilt in 1754 and is in three stages. It is 75 ft to the cockerel's head. The thickness of the walls varies from 6 ft. at ground level to 2 ft. in the belfry.
There are 7 bells in the tower:
Purchased in 1813 by the Lord of the Manor, William Vaughan, and manufactured by Thomas Mops of Ludgate in the City of London. The clock is driven by two weights, one for the clock and the other for the chiming mechanism., wound weekly. The accuracy is maintained by a 9 ft . pendulum. The dial was last repainted in 1997 to celebrate the parish's 700th year of independence from the jurisdiction of the Priory of Bath, at a cost of £845.